Location: Los Angeles County, California
Named (ca. 1920) by hikers from nearby Camp Baldy as a landmark feature for their old "Sunset Trail" which passed just below this summit and connected their resort with Brown's Flat. So named because this was deemed the best local spot to appreciate the setting sun.
When San Dimas Experimental Forest opened, all through trails in it were closed. The USFS constructed a fire lookout here (1927), rebuilt as a 20' X-B type tower with a 14' by 14' cab (1929)-the foundations still litter the summit.
Name first appears on USFS Angeles National Forest map (1926).
Peak was on the original 1946 HPS Peak List.
Weldon Heald climbed this peak in 1939.