Location: Los Angeles County, California
Named for the old Liebre Sawmills that once existed on the north slope. Originally, what we now call Burnt Peak was known as Sawmill Mountain (USGS Tejon quad 1908).
This area has been frequently burnt in the past, and in August 1927 there was a major blaze here that in ten days consumed the area from the (now old) "Ridge Route", east to Lake Hughes. Following this, what had been known as Sawmill Ridge was renamed.
Lookout: Calif. Dept. of Parks and Recreation C3 14' by 14' wood cab, with an enclosed 20' timber tower (1929), abandoned (n.d.).
Today the area is shaded with black oaks, has lovely views and is just over a mile from Burnt Peak.
Nonetheless it was bumped from the HPS List due of a combination of reasons: its proximity to the other peaks in its area, plus its gloomy cover of charcoal and ashes after the most recent major fire (1964), made it appear to be a most unworthy drive-up to just a bump along the side of the road (1970).
Name first appears on USFS Angeles National Forest map (1930).
Peak was on the original 1946 HPS Peak List.