USE AT YOUR OWN RISK
Location: San Diego County, about 16 miles southeast of Julian, 160 miles from Los Angeles
|Auto Club||San Diego County|
|Forest Service||Cleveland National Forest|
|USGS Topo||Monument Peak 7½|
|Official HPS Maps
||TPO file - Save to your computer then open with National Geographic TOPO!|
| ||Viewable JPG file - Approximately 500K|
| ||GPX file or Google Earth KML file to
download to GPS units and other map software (How to use GPX and KML files)|
| ||Routes as shown on
CalTopo using the above files (How to use CalTopo)|
Nearby Peaks: Garnet Mountain,
- Distance: 5 miles round trip on trail and cross-country
- Gain: 900' total, 800' out plus 100' on return
- Time: 3 hours round trip
- Rating: Class 1, easy
- Navigation: Easy
Original: George Wysup, April 2000
DRIVING ROUTE 3
- Take I-5 south to SR 78 in San Diego County.
- Go east on SR 78 through Escondido to the junction with SR 79 just
past the town of Julian. Turn right (south) on SR 79.
- Go 6 miles to the junction with Sunrise Highway (S1) on the left.
- Turn left on Sunrise Highway for 11.4 miles to Laguna/El Prado
Campground entrance and Foster Lodge entrance near mile marker 27.
Park at Foster Lodge.
HIKING ROUTE 3
- Hike north from the lodge (5560') and pick up the PCT.
- Follow the PCT in the Mexico direction for about 1.5 miles, past bump
5958', to where it meets a prominent ridge going up to the left.
- Go up this ridge, over a minor bump, and continue to the summit.
Note: Avoiding the paved road near the summit results in a route 100%
different than Routes 1 and 2.