USE AT YOUR OWN RISK
Location: San Diego County, about 16 miles southeast of Julian, 160 miles from Los Angeles
|Auto Club||San Diego County|
|Forest Service||Cleveland National Forest|
|USGS Topo||Monument Peak 7½|
|Official HPS Maps
||TPO file - Save to your computer then open with National Geographic TOPO!|
| ||Viewable JPG file - Approximately 500K|
| ||GPX file or Google Earth KML file to
download to GPS units and other map software (How to use GPX and KML files)|
| ||Routes as shown on
CalTopo using the above files (How to use CalTopo)|
Nearby Peaks: Garnet Mountain,
(USFS Adventure Pass may be required)
- Distance: 3 miles round trip on trail and cross-country
- Gain: 500'
- Time: 2 hours round trip
- Rating: Class 1, easy
- Navigation: Easy
Original: Laura Joseph and Byron Prinzmetal, October 2002
DRIVING ROUTE 1
- Take I-5 south to SR 78 in San Diego County.
- Go east on SR 78 through Escondido to the junction with SR 79 just
past the town of Julian. Turn right (south) on SR 79.
- Go 6 miles to the junction with Sunrise Highway (S1) on the left.
Turn left. Note your odometer and go as follows:
- At 7.4 miles, a paved road on the left with a sign "Kwaaymii
Point". This is the turnoff for Garnet
Mountain. Keep straight.
- At 9.9 miles a parking area at a gated dirt road on the left. This
is the trailhead for Garnet Peak. Keep
- At 11.4 miles, Laguna/El Prado Campground entrance and Foster Lodge
entrance. Keep straight.
- At 12.5 miles, large parking area on the left (after mile
marker 25). A trail from the parking area says, "Big Laguna
trail to PCT .5 miles." Park here.
HIKING ROUTE 1
- From the parking area (5760'), follow the Big Laguna Trail to the Pacific
Crest Trail (PCT).
- Turn left on the PCT and follow it to a point out of the trees where
the radio installations on Monument Peak can be seen. The PCT will
shortly make a sharp left turn with another fork going straight
- Go straight ahead and follow this fork as it swings right and comes to a
fenced enclosure with some trailers inside. (This is a NASA
- Turn left and follow the fence around the left side of the installation
until you come to a paved road.
- Turn left on this road and follow it up to the summit.