USE AT YOUR OWN RISK
Location: San Diego County, about 12 miles southeast of Julian, 155 miles from Los Angeles
|Auto Club||San Diego County|
|Forest Service||Cleveland National Forest|
|USGS Topos||Monument Peak 7½|
|Official HPS Maps
||TPO file - Save to your computer then open with National Geographic TOPO!|
| ||Viewable JPG file - Approximately 690K|
| ||GPX file or Google Earth KML file to
download to GPS units and other map software (How to use GPX and KML files)|
| ||Routes as shown on
CalTopo using the above files (How to use CalTopo)|
Nearby Peaks: Garnet Peak, Monument Peak #1
- Distance: 2.6 miles round trip on trail, dirt road & use trail
- Gain: 400'
- Time: 1 hour 20 minutes round trip
- Rating: Class 1, easy
- Navigation: Easy
Original: Peter Doggett, August 2011
DRIVING ROUTE 2
- Take I-15 south to SR 79 East in Temecula. (Take the second SR 79 exit
when driving from Los Angeles County).
- Go about 58 miles to Julian.
- Continue another 6 miles to the junction with Sunrise Highway (S1)
and SR 79. Reset your odometer and turn left.
- At 7.4 miles, Kwaamii Point Road on your left. Keep straight.
- At 8.4 miles, Pioneer Mail Picnic Area. Turn left.
- Park next to the Pacific Crest Trail (PCT).
HIKING ROUTE 2
- From the parking area (5280'), hike north on the PCT for about 1 mile
to the Kwaamii Point Overlook parking lot.
- From this second parking lot, walk about 100 feet up the paved road to
a gated dirt road on the north side.
- Cross the gate and hike north up this road.
- Keep left at a fork and continue up to the high point of the road.
- Leave the road here on the left and walk up through light brush
to the summit.
The views from the PCT to the east are outstanding. Take some time to absorb this awesome view.