USE AT YOUR OWN RISK
Location: San Diego County, about 12 miles southeast of Julian, 155 miles from Los Angeles
|Auto Club||San Diego County|
|Forest Service||Cleveland National Forest|
|USGS Topos||Monument Peak 7½|
|Official HPS Maps
||TPO file - Save to your computer then open with National Geographic TOPO!|
| ||Viewable JPG file - Approximately 690K|
| ||GPX file or Google Earth KML file to
download to GPS units and other map software (How to use GPX and KML files)|
| ||Routes as shown on
CalTopo using the above files (How to use CalTopo)|
Nearby Peaks: Garnet Peak, Monument Peak #1
- Distance: 0.6 mile round trip on road and cross-country
- Gain: 200'
- Time: 1/2 hour round trip
- Rating: Class 1, easy
- Navigation: Easy
Original: Warren E. von Pertz, March 1968
DRIVING ROUTE 1
- Take I-5 south to SR 78 in San Diego County.
- Go east on SR 78 through Escondido to the junction with SR 79 just
past the town of Julian. Turn right (south) on SR 79.
- Go 6 miles to the junction with Sunrise Highway (S1) on the left.
Turn left. Note your odometer and go as follows:
- At 7.4 miles (after mile marker 30.4), a paved road on the left with
a sign "Kwaaymii Point". Turn left.
- Drive 0.3 mile on
this road to its end. Park here.
HIKING ROUTE 1
- From the parking area (5480'), walk about 100' back up the paved
road to a gated dirt road on the north side.
- Cross the gate and hike north up this road.
- Keep left at a fork and continue up to the high point of the road.
- Leave the road here on the left and walk up through light brush to