USE AT YOUR OWN RISK
Location: San Diego County, about 9 miles south of Julian, 155 miles from Los Angeles
|Auto Club||San Diego County|
|Forest Service||Cleveland National Forest|
|USGS Topo||Cuyamaca Peak 7½|
|Official HPS Maps
||TPO file - Save to your computer then open with National Geographic TOPO!|
| ||Viewable JPG file - Approximately 960K|
| ||GPX file or Google Earth KML file to
download to GPS units and other map software (How to use GPX and KML files)|
| ||Routes as shown on
CalTopo using the above files (How to use CalTopo)|
Nearby Peaks: Middle Peak, Cuyamaca Peak
- Distance: 4 miles round trip on trail
- Gain: 900'
- Time: 2 hours round trip
- Rating: Class 1, easy
Original: Warren E. von Pertz, January 1968
DRIVING ROUTE 1
- Take I-5 south to SR 78 in San Diego County.
- Go east on SR 78 through Escondido to the junction with SR 79 just
past the town of Julian. Turn right (south) on SR 79.
- Go south on SR 79 for 9 miles to the Cuyamaca Dam.
- Continue 2.7 miles to the entrance to Paso Picacho Park on the right.
Park in the day use area. There is a day use fee for the park. Parking
along the highway is not permitted near the park.
HIKING ROUTE 1
- From the parking area (4860'), cross the highway to the beginning of the
Stonewall Peak trail. Hike up this trail to the summit.