USE AT YOUR OWN RISK
Location: San Diego County, about 7 miles east-southeast of Julian, 158 miles from Los Angeles
|Auto Club||San Diego County|
|Forest Service||Cleveland National Forest|
|USGS Topo||Earthquake Valley 7½|
|Official HPS Maps
||TPO file - Save to your computer then open with National Geographic TOPO!|
| ||Viewable PDF file - Approximately 2.8 megs|
| ||GPX file or Google Earth KML file to
download to GPS units and other map software (How to use GPX and KML files)|
| ||Routes as shown on
CalTopo using the above files (How to use CalTopo)|
- Distance: 6.5 miles round trip cross-country
- Gain: 3200'
- Time: 7-8 hours round trip
- Rating: Class 2, strenuous
DRIVING ROUTE 3
- Take I-15 south to Temecula.
- Go southeast on SR 79 to Warner Springs.
- Continue 3 miles on SR 79 to the intersection with S2 on the
left. Turn left.
- Go southeast on S2 about 17 miles to SR 78 (Scissors Crossing).
- Jog 1/3 mile west on SR 78 (right) and continue on S2 for
4.5 miles, to mile marker 21.5.
- Turn right (west) onto a dirt road, and drive 1.1 miles to its end.
HIKING ROUTE 3
- From the parking area, descend into the wash just to the north, and
follow it west.
- After 0.2 miles, the wash forks. Take the left (major) fork.
- After 0.9 miles, the wash splits into three forks. Take the right fork.
- Go a short distance, then veer left to climb the ridge between the
middle and north-most forks.
- Continue up the ridge, veering a bit left to a shallow saddle south
of 4624'. When you reach this point, you'll have intersected a major
ridge running SE-NW.
- Turn right (northwest then west) and continue up this sometimes
bouldery ridge, through a few minor saddles, to the summit.