USE AT YOUR OWN RISK
Location: San Diego County, about 7 miles east-southeast of Julian, 158 miles from Los Angeles
|Auto Club||San Diego County|
|Forest Service||Cleveland National Forest|
|USGS Topo||Earthquake Valley 7½|
|Official HPS Maps
||TPO file - Save to your computer then open with National Geographic TOPO!|
| ||Viewable PDF file - Approximately 2.8 megs|
| ||GPX file or Google Earth KML file to
download to GPS units and other map software (How to use GPX and KML files)|
| ||Routes as shown on
CalTopo using the above files (How to use CalTopo)|
- Distance: 8 miles round trip cross-country
- Gain: 3000'
- Time: 7-8 hours round trip
- Rating: Class 1, strenuous
Original: Warren E. von Pertz, August 1967
DRIVING ROUTE 1
- Take I-15 south to Temecula.
- Go southeast on SR 79 to Warner Springs.
- Continue 3 miles on SR 79 to the intersection with S2 on the
left. Turn left.
- Go southeast on S2 about 17 miles to SR 78 (Scissors Crossing).
- Jog 1/3 mile west on SR 78 (right) and continue on S2 for
9.8 miles to Vallecito Wash on the right (west). Here there is a sign "Oriflamme
Canyon". Turn right.
Note:The condition of the road up Oriflamme varies from year to year. Drive
as far as seems appropriate to your vehicle before parking.
- Go 1/4 mile to a fork. Go right.
- Go 1.8 miles to another fork. Go right.
- Go 1/4 mile to where a jeep track appears to the right (north).
Park near here. 4WD vehicles can go slightly farther.
HIKING ROUTE 1
- From the parking area (2600'), hike up the jeep road to abandoned mine
workings at 3500'.
- Continue northeast to the top of a ridge that comes southeast
down from the peak.
- Ascend this ridge to the summit ridge.
- Turn right and
follow the summit ridge northeast over an intermediate bump to the summit.