USE AT YOUR OWN RISK
San Diego County, about 9 miles west of Borrego Springs, 137 miles from Los Angeles
|Auto Club||Riverside County, San Diego County|
|Forest Service||Cleveland National Forest|
|USGS Topos||Borrego Palm Canyon 7½, Tubb Canyon 7½|
|Official HPS Maps
||TPO file - Save to your computer then open with National Geographic TOPO!|
| ||Viewable JPG file - Approximately 740K|
| ||GPX file or Google Earth KML file to
download to GPS units and other map software (How to use GPX and KML files)|
| ||Routes as shown on
CalTopo using the above files (How to use CalTopo)|
- Distance: 4 miles round trip cross-country
- Gain: 1500' total
- Time: 2-3 hours round trip
- Rating: Class 1, strenuous
- Navigation: Difficult
Original: Wayne Bannister, December 2012
DRIVING ROUTE 2
- Take I-15 south to Temecula.
- Take the second off-ramp for SR 79, signed "79 South / Indio".
Turn left (east) on SR 79 for 37 miles to the town of Warner Springs.
- Continue south of Warner Springs on SR 79 for 3.5 miles to a junction
with S2 coming in from the left. Turn left onto S2.
- Drive southeast 4.7 miles to S22. Turn left.
- Drive east on S22 for 5.4 miles to Lease Road. Turn left.
- Drive 1.5 miles north on Lease Road. Just past Jack Ass Road, turn right onto
a dirt road.
- Drive 0.5 mile until you reach an Anza-Borrego boundary sign. Park here. The dirt
road to the right is private property.
HIKING ROUTE 2
- From the parking area (4500'), head north up a broad canyon on a dirt road
and use trail.
- After approximately 0.7 mile, reach a steep gully. To the right of the gully is a dirt road between Prospects Peak (5685') and 5035'.
Turn onto the dirt road.
- Follow the the jeep road in a southeast direction over the saddle until you reach a flat open area.
- The flat open area leads into gully on the west side of The Thimble.
Go north in the gully on a ducked route to the peak. Stay within in the park boundaries defined by a fence.