USE AT YOUR OWN RISK
Location: San Diego County, about 8 miles north of Warner Springs, 127 miles from Los Angeles
|Auto Club||Riverside County, San Diego County|
|Forest Service||Cleveland National Forest|
|USGS Topos||Bucksnort Mtn 7½, Hot Springs Mtn 7½|
|Official HPS Maps
||TPO file - Save to your computer then open with National Geographic TOPO!|
| ||Viewable JPG file - Approximately 460K|
| ||GPX file or Google Earth KML file to
download to GPS units and other map software (How to use GPX and KML files)|
| ||Routes as shown on
CalTopo using the above files (How to use CalTopo)|
- Distance: 5 miles round trip on trail and use trail
- Gain: 1200'
- Time: 3 hours round trip
- Rating: Class 1, moderate
- Navigation: Easy
Original: Cliff Black
DRIVING ROUTE 1
- Take I-15 south to Temecula.
- Take the second off-ramp for SR 79, signed "79 South / Indio".
Turn left (east) on SR 79.
- Pass through Aguanga in 18 miles; continue 5 more miles to Oak Grove
Campground and Ranger Station, then another 3 miles to the Chihuahua
Valley Road on the left (paved). Turn left. Note your odometer and go as
- At 6.4 miles, the paved road turns sharp right. There is a wide gate
and a large metal arch/entrance that leads to a private development.
To the right of that is a small dirt road,
that small dirt road.
- At 8.0 miles, gate. This gate is sometimes locked. If it is locked,
park here. This adds 7 miles round trip.
- At 11.4 miles, the road reaches a saddle. The Pacific Crest Trail
(PCT) crosses the road here and there is a sign "State Park Property".
HIKING ROUTE 1
- From the parking area (5050', UTM 378935), hike north 2 miles on the
PCT to a saddle (5600') just east-northeast of Combs
- From here, follow a ducked use trail west up to the summit.