USE AT YOUR OWN RISK
Location: Riverside County, about 13 miles northeast of Borrego Springs, 182 miles from Los Angeles
Nearby Peaks: Villager Peak
- Distance: 14.5 miles round trip cross-country
- Gain: 5500' total, 4800' out plus 700' on return
- Time: 10-12 hours round trip
- Rating: Class 1, very strenuous
- Navigation: Moderate
- Route Finding: Moderate
- Leader Rating: "I", normal conditions
- Route: Trail and moderately steep desert terrain.
Original: Byron Prinzmetal, January 2002
DRIVING ROUTE 3
- Drive east on I-10 to the 86S expressway in Indio.
- Drive south toward El Centro on SR 86S Expressway for about 35.5 miles
to Salton City.
west on the Borrego-Salton Seaway (S22).
- Continue 12.1 miles to a
miles to a parking area on the left side of the road just past Call Box 346.
- It is also possible to reach the trailhead by driving east on S22
from Christmas Circle in Borrego Springs for about 15.8 miles.
HIKING ROUTE 3
- Enter Smoke Tree Canyon from a wash just east of the Call Box 346.
The canyon splits. One canyon heads east
toward the Natural Rock Tanks and the other heads north-northwest.
- Hike up dry wash and north-north west canyon past a dry waterfall to an open area (approximately 3.1 miles).
- Leave the wash and hike up a faint use trail to elevation 2260' and turn left on another use trail following the contours north.
- At elevation 2960' the trail contours in north-northwest direction to a saddle at 3140' just west of "Pyramid Peak". "Pyramid Peak" (3480'+, not named on topo, but has a register can) can be hiked form this location.
and over / down several bumps until you intersect Route
1 at the saddle (3600'+).
- Continue on Route 1 for about a mile to the summit.