USE AT YOUR OWN RISK
Location: Riverside County, about 13 miles northeast of Borrego Springs, 182 miles from Los Angeles
Nearby Peaks: Villager Peak
From Villager Peak
- Distance: 4.5 miles one way cross-country
- Gain: 1700' gain and 2500' loss
- Time: 5-6 hours one way
- Rating: Class 1, very strenuous
- Navigation: Moderate
- Route Finding: Moderate
- Leader Rating: "I", normal conditions
- Route: Open desert terrain that is very steep and very slippery in places
Original: Byron Prinzmetal, January 2002
DRIVING ROUTE 2
- Drive east on I-10 to the 86S expressway in Indio.
- Drive south toward El Centro on SR 86S Expressway for about 35.5 miles
to Salton City.
west on the Borrego-Salton Seaway (S22).
- Continue 14.8 miles to a
parking area on the right (just past the 32 mile marker) and a dirt road on
the left (south). Park in this area
on either side of the road. There is a call box numbered S22-319
on the north side of the road. The road on the south of S22 is signed
"Thimble Trail". This is a good car camping spot.
- It is also possible to reach the trailhead by driving east on S22
from Christmas Circle in Borrego Springs for about 13.1 miles.
HIKING ROUTE 2
- It is also possible to combine Villager Peak and
Rosa Point as a loop trip using the saddle at the top of Rattlesnake
Canyon to traverse from one to the other (see Route 2 on HPS map dated 1/17/2002