USE AT YOUR OWN RISK
Location: Riverside County, about 13 miles northeast of Borrego Springs, 182 miles from Los Angeles
Nearby Peaks: Villager Peak
From Villager Peak
- Distance: 4.5 miles one way cross-country
- Gain: 1700' gain and 2500' loss
- Time: 4-6 hours one way
- Rating: Class 1, very strenuous
- Navigation: Moderate
- Route Finding: Moderate
- Leader Rating: "I", normal conditions
- Route: Open desert terrain that is very steep and very slippery in places
Original: Byron Prinzmetal, January 2002
DRIVING ROUTE 2
- Drive east on I-10 to the 86S expressway in Indio.
- Drive south toward El Centro on SR 86S Expressway for about 35.5 miles
to Salton City.
west on the Borrego-Salton Seaway (S22).
- Continue 14.8 miles to a
parking area on the right (just past the 32 mile marker) and a dirt road on
the left (south). Park in this area
on either side of the road.
The road on the south of S22 is signed
"Thimble Trail". This is a good car camping spot.
- It is also possible to reach the trailhead by driving east on S22
from Christmas Circle in Borrego Springs for about 13.1 miles.
HIKING ROUTE 2
- From the summit of Villager Peak, desend the south ridge to the 4900' contour.
- Hike cross-country east to a saddle at the head of Rattlesnake Canyon.
- Continue east on a use trail to a summit known as Mile High Peak.
- Follow the undulating ridge southeast to Rosa Point.
Note: A loop trip via Villager Route 1 and Rosa Routes 2 and 1 is 17 miles with 7300' of
elevation gain and takes about 13-15 hours. It may be easiest to do in reverse because the ridge
of Villager is an easier descent, especially after dark.