USE AT YOUR OWN RISK
Location: Riverside County, about 12 miles northeast of Borrego Springs, 182 miles from Los Angeles
|Auto Club||Riverside County, San Diego County|
|USGS Topos||Rabbit Peak 7½, Fonts Point 7½|
|Official HPS Maps
||TPO file - Save to your computer then open with National Geographic TOPO!|
| ||Viewable PDF file - Approximately 5 megs|
| ||GPX file or Google Earth KML file to
download to GPS units and other map software (How to use GPX and KML files)|
| ||Routes as shown on
CalTopo using the above files (How to use CalTopo)|
Nearby Peaks: Rabbit Peak #2, Rosa Point
- Distance: 13.5 miles round trip on use trail and cross-country
- Gain: 5100' total, 4900' out plus 200' on return
- Time: 8-10 hours round trip
- Rating: Class 1, very strenuous
- Navigation: Moderate
- Leader Rating: "I", normal conditions
Original: Paul A. Lipsohn, November 1973
DRIVING ROUTE 1
- Drive east on I-10 to the 86S expressway in Indio.
- Drive south toward El Centro on SR 86S Expressway for about 35.5
miles to Salton City.
- Turn west on the Borrego-Salton Seaway (S22).
- Continue 14.8 miles to a parking area on the right
(just past the 32 mile marker) and a dirt road on
the left (south). Park in this area on either side of the road.
The road on the south of S22 is signed, "Thimble Trail". This is a good car camping spot.
- It is also possible to reach the trailhead by driving east on S22
from Christmas Circle in Borrego Springs for about 13.1 miles.
HIKING ROUTE 1
- From the parking area (980'), the route is evident. It is the ridge
coming south down from Villager Peak.
- Hike north across the desert on a good use trail, just
past the east end of "Lute" ridge (see topo map, Section 12), to
the prominent ridge on the left (west) side of Rattlesnake Canyon.
- The use trail switchbacks up the toe of the ridge and then up
the steady slope of the ridge over several false summits and up to the
- On the descent, take care at 4400' not to follow the
southeast ridge down into Rattlesnake Canyon. Continue on the south