USE AT YOUR OWN RISK
Location: Riverside County, about 20 miles south of Indio, 150 miles from Los Angeles
|Auto Club||Riverside County, San Diego County|
|USGS Topos||Rabbit Peak 7½, Fonts Point 7½, Clark Lake NE 7½|
|Official HPS Maps
||TPO file - Save to your computer then open with National Geographic TOPO!|
| ||Viewable PDF file - Approximately 5 megs|
| ||GPX file or Google Earth KML file to
download to GPS units and other map software (How to use GPX and KML files)|
| ||Routes as shown on
CalTopo using the above files (How to use CalTopo)|
Nearby Peaks: Villager Peak
- Distance: 14 miles round trip cross-country
- Gain: 6200'
- Time: 12 hours round trip
- Rating: Class 1, very strenuous
- Navigation: Moderate
- Leader Rating: "I", normal conditions
Original: Brent Washburne, April 1989
DRIVING ROUTE 3
- Drive east on I-10 to the 86S expressway in Indio.
- Drive south toward El Centro on SR 86S Expressway for about 35.5
miles to Salton City.
- Turn west on the Borrego-Salton Seaway (S22).
- Continue 14.8 miles to a parking area on the right and a dirt road on
the left. This is the parking area for Villager Peak
and Rosa Point.
- Continue west 7.2 miles on S22 to a to a dirt road on the right
(north). This is 1/2 mile east of the Peg Leg Smith historical
- Drive northeast across Clark Dry Lake to the vicinity of Clark Well
(dry), where the road is blocked by sand dunes. Park here.
HIKING ROUTE 3
- From the parking area, hike north-northeast across the desert about 3
miles towards a ridge west of a canyon coming from the direction of the
- Climb this ridge, passing elevation 2719' on the east. The ridge swings
northeast to the head of the canyon.
- Descend a little to a saddle at 3300', and then climb steeply 2000'
east-northeast up a ridge to the main ridge at 5800'.
- Then turn north to climb the south ridge of Rabbit Peak.
This route is open year round.