USE AT YOUR OWN RISK
Location: Riverside County, about 7 miles southwest of Idyllwild, 123 miles from Los Angeles
|Auto Club||Riverside County, San Jacinto Mountain Area|
|Forest Service||San Bernardino National Forest|
|USGS Topos||Idyllwild 7½, Blackburn Canyon 7½|
|Official HPS Maps
||TPO file - Save to your computer then open with National Geographic TOPO!|
| ||Viewable PDF file - Approximately 2.8 megs|
| ||GPX file or Google Earth KML file to
download to GPS units and other map software (How to use GPX and KML files)|
| ||Routes as shown on
CalTopo using the above files (How to use CalTopo)|
Nearby Peaks: Thomas Mountain
(USFS Adventure Pass may be required)
- Distance: 10 miles round trip on trail and road
- Gain: 2000'
- Time: 5 hours round trip
- Rating: Class 1, moderate
Original: John Backus, May 1982
DRIVING ROUTE 2
- Go south on I-215 to the Ramona Expressway. Turn left (east).
- Go east and then southeast on the Ramona Expressway until it ends at
SR 74. Turn left (east).
- Go east on SR 74 12.0 miles to the South Fork Trail trailhead on the right.
HIKING ROUTE 2
- From the parking area (3869'), hike south along the trail that starts
here, and goes along the east side of the canyon. It then drops down into the
canyon and crosses the South Fork of the San Jacinto River.
- Cross the
river at the crossing provided (may be difficult during spring run-off)
and continue up the other side of the canyon to saddle 4840'+ where the
trail meets a jeep road.
- At this point head west-northwest to go over bump
5040'+ and down its other side to meet the Rouse Hill Road (5S15) in
saddle 4900' at a wire gate.
- Turn right and hike the road to its high
point at the triangular sign "JU30".
- Then leave the road and
head northwest to the summit.