USE AT YOUR OWN RISK
Location: Riverside County, about 7 miles southwest of Idyllwild, 123 miles from Los Angeles
|Auto Club||Riverside County, San Jacinto Mountain Area|
|Forest Service||San Bernardino National Forest|
|USGS Topos||Idyllwild 7½, Blackburn Canyon 7½|
|Official HPS Maps
||TPO file - Save to your computer then open with National Geographic TOPO!|
| ||Viewable PDF file - Approximately 2.8 megs|
| ||GPX file or Google Earth KML file to
download to GPS units and other map software (How to use GPX and KML files)|
| ||Routes as shown on
CalTopo using the above files (How to use CalTopo)|
Nearby Peaks: Thomas Mountain
(USFS Adventure Pass may be required)
- Distance: None
- Gain: None
- Time: None
- Rating: Drive-up
Original: John Backus, May 1982
DRIVING ROUTE 1
- Go south on I-215 to the Ramona Expressway. Turn left (east).
- Go east and then southeast on the Ramona Expressway until it ends at
SR 74. Turn left (east).
- Go east on SR 74 to Mountain Center.
- Continue east on SR 74 for 5.2 miles to a dirt road (6S13) on the
right just past Lake Hemet. Turn right. Note your odometer and go as
- At 4.5 miles, fork with a sign "Thomas Mtn 3, Rouse Hill 7".
This is the turnoff for Thomas Mountain.
- At 5.3 miles, fork with a gate and a sign "5S15". Go right
through the gate. Note your odometer again and go as follows:
- At 3.8 miles, sign "South Fork Trail".
- At 4.5 miles, Milky Spring with a windmill.
- At 5.5 miles, the road tops a low rise and starts downhill. There is
a triangular metal sign on the left at the high point reading "JU30".
Go about 100 yards farther and park.
- Take I-15 south to Temecula.
- Go east on SR 79 to Aguanga. Turn left on SR 371.
- Drive 13.2 miles to Bautista Road on the left. Turn left. Note your
odometer and go as follows:
- At 2.2 miles, a left turn and the pavement ends.
- At 4.3 miles, a sign "Locked Gate Ahead". Turn right.
- At 5.9 miles, fork. Go left.
- At 6.5 miles, fork. Go right.
- At 8.8 miles, fork and a gate on left with a sign "5S15".
Go left through the gate. Continue as in the northern approach.
HIKING ROUTE 1
- From the parking area, hike about 500' to the summit, which is the high
point of the rise to the northwest.
Any of these Forest Service roads may be closed for fire or rainy season or other reasons. Before investing in a long, perhaps pointless, drive ... check with the
Forest Service at Idyllwild: