** Use at Your Own Risk **
See the Retired Peak Guides in the Archives for Microsoft Word and other versions of this peak guide.
Location: Riverside County, about 12 miles southeast of Idyllwild, 122 miles from Los Angeles
|Auto Club||Riverside County, San Jacinto Mountain Area|
|Forest Service||San Bernardino National Forest|
|USGS Topo||Butterfly Peak 7½|
|Official HPS Maps
||TPO file - Save to your computer then open with National Geographic TOPO!|
| ||Viewable JPG file - Approximately 925K|
| ||GPX file or Google Earth KML file to
download to GPS units and other map software (How to use GPX and KML files)|
| ||Routes as shown on
CalTopo using the above files (How to use CalTopo)|
Nearby Peaks: Butterfly Peak, Rock Point
Printable version of this route
(USFS Adventure Pass may be required)
- Distance: 16 miles round trip on trail, road, and cross-country
- Gain: 2600' total, 2200' out plus 400' on return
- Time: 8-9 hours round trip
- Rating: Class 1, moderate
Original: Terri Sutor, January 1992
DRIVING ROUTE 1
- Take SR 60 east to I-215.
- Go south on I-215 to the Ramona Expressway. Turn left (east).
- Go east and then southeast on the Ramona Expressway until it ends at
SR 74. Turn left (east).
- Go east on SR 74 to Mountain Center.
- Continue east on SR 74 for 12.5 miles to the intersection with SR
371 on the right.
- Continue east on SR 74 about 1.0 mile to the Pacific Crest Trail (PCT)
on the left. Park here.
HIKING ROUTE 1
- From the trailhead (4950'), hike north on the PCT for about 5 miles to
where it crosses a dirt road.
- Continue north on the PCT another mile to a
trail junction just before a gate across the trail.
- Turn right at this
junction and hike southeast along this trail past the remains of another
gate for about 1.0 mile through two saddles to a duck on the left where a
faint use trail goes up through the brush (UTM 413190).
- Hike up this use trail to the ridge.
- Turn right and hike up over a false summit and then on to the peak.
Printable version of this route
- Distance: 10 miles round trip on road, trail, and cross-country
including Butterfly Peak
- Gain: 3000' total, 2400' out plus 600' on return
- Time: 6-7 hours round trip
- Rating: Class 2, moderate
Original: Frank Dobos, March 1992
DRIVING ROUTE 2
HIKING ROUTE 2
- See the Butterfly Peak guide for climbing
- From the summit of Butterfly Peak, hike down
the southeast ridge to the 4WD road below.
- Follow this road east
and then southeast to where it crosses a creek bed. Just past the creek
is a road junction.
- Follow the 4WD road northeast up to a saddle at 5920'+
where it intersects the PCT.
- Turn right and follow the trail south through a gate. Just past the
gate is the trail junction on Route 1. Follow the instructions for
Route 1 to the summit.
On the return trip, retrace your
steps to where you first intersected the 4WD road southeast of
Continue up the road to its end at the point marked "Prospect"
on the map. Contour west from here into a gully. Go over a small rise and
intersect the ducked trail of Butterfly Peak
Route 1. Follow this route back down to the parking area.
All other roads in the area are private. Do not attempt to hike along
either road which runs parallel to the PCT.
Please report any corrections or changes to the
Mountain Records Chair.