USE AT YOUR OWN RISK
Location: Riverside County, about 11 miles southeast of Idyllwild, 120 miles from Los Angeles
|Auto Club||Riverside County, San Jacinto Mountain Area|
|Forest Service||San Bernardino National Forest|
|USGS Topo||Butterfly Peak 7½|
|Official HPS Maps
||TPO file - Save to your computer then open with National Geographic TOPO!|
| ||Viewable JPG file - Approximately 925K|
| ||GPX file or Google Earth KML file to
download to GPS units and other map software (How to use GPX and KML files)|
| ||Routes as shown on
CalTopo using the above files (How to use CalTopo)|
Nearby Peaks: Ken Point, Rock Point
(USFS Adventure Pass may be required)
- Distance: 19 miles round trip on road, trail, and cross-country
including Ken Point.
- Gain: 4300' total, 3700' out plus 600' on return
- Time: 10-11 hours round trip
- Rating: Class 2, strenuous
- Leader Rating: "I", normal conditions
Original: Terri Sutor, December 1990
DRIVING ROUTE 2
- See the driving instructions for Ken Point
HIKING ROUTE 2
- See the Ken Point guide for climbing Route 1.
- From the first road crossing on the Pacific Crest Trail (PCT), turn
left and go west about 1/2 mile to an intersection in the center of
- Turn right and go north along this road to a fork.
- Go left on a 4WD road keeping left at a fork. This road turns right
(northwest) at a corral.
- Continue to where the road turns left, leave it on the right and follow
the ridge up to the summit.
- Retrace your steps back to the center of the canyon. Now take the right
fork and follow it up past Tunnel Spring to the PCT in a saddle.
- Turn right and go a short distance and pass through a gate. Here you will
rejoin Ken Point Route 1.