USE AT YOUR OWN RISK
Location: Riverside County, about 2 miles northeast of Idyllwild, 112 miles from Los Angeles
|Auto Club||Riverside County, Los Angeles and Vicinity|
|Forest Service||San Bernardino National Forest|
|USGS Topos||San Jacinto Peak 7½, Idyllwild 7½|
|Official HPS Maps
||TPO file - Save to your computer then open with National Geographic TOPO!|
| ||Viewable JPG file - Approximately 920K|
| ||GPX file or Google Earth KML file to
download to GPS units and other map software (How to use GPX and KML files)|
| ||Routes as shown on
CalTopo using the above files (How to use CalTopo)|
Nearby Peaks: Red Tahquitz, Lily Rock
(USFS Adventure Pass may be required)
- Distance: 6 miles round trip on trail
- Gain: 2400'
- Time: 3-4 hours round trip
- Rating: Class 1, moderate
Original: Warren E. von Pertz, September 1968
DRIVING ROUTE 2
- See the driving instructions for Route 1. From the Idyllwild Ranger
Station, go south 0.7 mile on SR 243 to Saunders Meadow Road on the left
just north of the Idyllwild Elementary School.
- Turn left (southwest). Note your odometer and go as follows:
- At 0.9 mile, Pine Avenue. Turn left.
- At 1.0 mile, Tahquitz View Road. Turn right.
- At 1.2 miles, a dirt road with a sign "South Ridge Trail - 2".
- At 2.2 miles, fork. Keep left.
- Go to the turn-around at the end of the road. Park here. Ample
HIKING ROUTE 2
- From the parking area (6480'), hike up the South Ridge Trail to where
it meets Route 1 just below the summit.
- Turn right and hike about 100'
up to the lookout.