USE AT YOUR OWN RISK
Location: Riverside County, about 2 miles northeast of Idyllwild, 112 miles from Los Angeles
|Auto Club||Riverside County, Los Angeles and Vicinity|
|Forest Service||San Bernardino National Forest|
|USGS Topos||San Jacinto Peak 7½, Idyllwild 7½|
|Official HPS Maps
||TPO file - Save to your computer then open with National Geographic TOPO!|
| ||Viewable JPG file - Approximately 920K|
| ||GPX file or Google Earth KML file to
download to GPS units and other map software (How to use GPX and KML files)|
| ||Routes as shown on
CalTopo using the above files (How to use CalTopo)|
Nearby Peaks: Red Tahquitz, Lily Rock
(USFS Adventure Pass may be required)
- Distance: 9 miles round trip on trail
- Gain: 2200'
- Time: 4-5 hours round trip
- Rating: Class 1, moderate
- Navigation: Easy
Original: Warren E. von Pertz, September 1968
DRIVING ROUTE 1
- Drive I-10 to Banning. Exit at 8th Street (SR 243). Note your
odometer and go as follows:
- At 0.2 mile, turn left.
- At 0.7 mile, turn right on San Gorgonio Avenue.
- At 1.4 miles, keep left on SR 243.
- At 25.0 miles, Idyllwild Ranger Station (San Bernardino National
Forest) on the left. Turn left on Pine Crest Avenue. Note your odometer
and go as follows:
- At 0.6 mile, intersection. Make a half right on South Circle Drive.
- At 0.7 mile, Fern Valley Drive on the left with a sign "Humber
Park". Turn left.
- At 1.2 miles, fork. Keep left.
- At 2.2 miles, trailhead on the left. This is the climber's trail for
Suicide Rock. Keep straight.
- At. 2.6 miles, Humber Park. Park here.
HIKING ROUTE 1
- The Devils Slide Trail begins at the upper right corner of the
parking lot. From this trailhead (6440'), hike up the trail 2.5
miles to Saddle Junction (8040'). At this point there are four
- Take the extreme right trail with a sign "Tahquitz
- Follow this trail up to the summit.