USE AT YOUR OWN RISK
Location: Riverside County, about 8 miles west of Palm Springs, 112 miles from Los Angeles
|Auto Club||Riverside County|
|Forest Service||San Bernardino National Forest|
|USGS Topo||San Jacinto Peak 7½|
|Official HPS Maps
||TPO file - Save to your computer then open with National Geographic TOPO!|
| ||Viewable PDF file - Approximately 6 megs|
| ||GPX file or Google Earth KML file to
download to GPS units and other map software (How to use GPX and KML files)|
| ||Routes as shown on
CalTopo using the above files (How to use CalTopo)|
Nearby Peaks: Folly Peak, Cornell Peak, San Jacinto Peak, Marion Mountain
- Distance: 10 miles round trip on trail
- Gain: 2400'
- Time: 5-6 hours round trip
- Rating: Class 2, moderate
Original: John Backus, August 1982
DRIVING ROUTE 1
- Take I-10 east past Banning to the junction with SR 111.
- Take SR 111 southeast 8.5 miles to the Palm Springs Tramway Road.
- Go up this road 3.7 miles to its end at the tramway terminal. Park
where indicated by the signs in this area.
HIKING ROUTE 1
- Take the tram (fee
required) to the upper station at 8560'.
downstairs and exit the building. Follow the concrete sidewalk as it
descends to the valley below.
- Continue straight ahead to a ranger station.
- Continue about 1/4 mile to a trail junction with a sign "Round
Valley - 2".
- Keep right and continue to Round Valley Campground.
left here at a junction and continue up to Wellman Divide (9700').
right at this junction and continue up to a junction at a saddle just
below the peak.
- Turn left and go south along the ridge across a small bump
and down into a saddle.
- Continue south along the ridge keeping to the left
and then up to the summit.