USE AT YOUR OWN RISK
Location: Riverside County, about 10 miles southeast of Banning, 105 miles from Los Angeles
|Auto Club||Riverside County, San Jacinto Mountain Area|
|Forest Service||San Bernardino National Forest|
|USGS Topo||Lake Fulmor 7½|
|Official HPS Maps
||TPO file - Save to your computer then open with National Geographic TOPO!|
| ||Viewable JPG file - Approximately 960K|
| ||GPX file or Google Earth KML file to
download to GPS units and other map software (How to use GPX and KML files)|
| ||Routes as shown on
CalTopo using the above files (How to use CalTopo)|
Nearby Peaks: Castle Rocks
(USFS Adventure Pass may be required)
- Distance: 1 mile round trip on road
- Gain: 400'
- Time: 1 hour round trip
- Rating: Class 1, easy
- Navigation: Easy
- Leader Rating: "O", normal conditions
Original: Al Campbell, October 1972
DRIVING ROUTE 2
- See instructions for Driving Route 1.
- At 12.8 miles, fork on the left at a sign "Black Mountain Trail".
This is the turnoff for Route 1. Keep straight.
- At 15.6 miles, Indian Vista scenic stop and fork on the right with
4S21. This is the turnoff for Indian Mountain.
- At 16.9 miles, Black Mountain Road (4S01) on the left. Turn left. Note
your odometer and go as follows:
- At 1.5 miles, fork. Keep left.
- At 4.8 miles, fork on the left to Boulder Basin Campground. Turn
left. Continuing straight goes to the trailhead for Castle
- At 5.3 miles, a campground in Boulder Basin. Drive through the
campground and park at the left road fork signed "Locked Gate Ahead".
HIKING ROUTE 2
- From the parking area (7520'), hike up the left road fork
Gate Ahead") and follow the road to the summit lookout.