USE AT YOUR OWN RISK
Location: Riverside County, about 10 miles southeast of Banning, 105 miles from Los Angeles
|Auto Club||Riverside County, San Jacinto Mountain Area|
|Forest Service||San Bernardino National Forest|
|USGS Topo||Lake Fulmor 7½|
|Official HPS Maps
||TPO file - Save to your computer then open with National Geographic TOPO!|
| ||Viewable JPG file - Approximately 960K|
| ||GPX file or Google Earth KML file to
download to GPS units and other map software (How to use GPX and KML files)|
| ||Routes as shown on
CalTopo using the above files (How to use CalTopo)|
Nearby Peaks: Castle Rocks
(USFS Adventure Pass may be required)
- Distance: 8 miles round trip on trail and road
- Gain: 2700'
- Time: 5 hours round trip
- Rating: Class 1, moderate
- Navigation: Easy
- Leader Rating: "O", normal conditions
Original: Al Campbell, October 1972
DRIVING ROUTE 1
- Drive I-10 to Banning. Exit at 8th Street (SR 243). Note your
odometer and go as follows:
- At 0.2 mile, turn left.
- At 0.7 mile, turn right on San Gorgonio Avenue.
- At 1.4 miles, keep left on SR 243.
- At 11.8 miles, pass the Vista Grande Ranger Station.
- At 12.8 miles, fork on the left and a sign "Black Mountain
Trail". Turn left on Black Mountain Trail.
- Drive 100 yards to the end of the road and park here.
HIKING ROUTE 1
- From the parking area (5120'), hike up Black Mountain Trail (2E35) for
3 1/2 miles to the Black Mountain Lookout Road near the summit.
right on this road to the summit. It is possible to shortcut this road by
turning right just before reaching the road, then following a use trail to
near the top of the Lookout Road.