USE AT YOUR OWN RISK
Mount Minerva Hoyt
Location: Riverside County, about 12 miles northeast of Indio, 130 miles from Los Angeles
|Auto Club||Riverside County|
|Park Service||Joshua Tree National Park|
|USGS Topos||Indian Cove 7½, Keys View 7½, Joshua Tree South 7½, East Deception Canyon 7½|
|Official HPS Maps
||TPO file - Save to your computer then open with National Geographic TOPO!|
| ||Viewable JPG file - Approximately 1 meg|
| ||GPX file or Google Earth KML file to
download to GPS units and other map software (How to use GPX and KML files)|
| ||Routes as shown on
CalTopo using the above files (How to use CalTopo)|
Nearby Peaks: Quail Mountain
(National Park Service Entrance Fee)
- Distance: 7 miles round trip cross-country
- Gain: 2200' total, 1800' out plus 400' on return
- Time: 5-7 hours round trip
- Rating: Class 1, strenuous
- Navigation: Difficult
- Leader Rating: "I", normal conditions
Original: Peter & Ignacia Doggett, January 2014 (amendment to Minor White, February 1989)
DRIVING ROUTE 2
- Take I-10 east past Banning to the intersection with SR 62.
- Go north on SR 62 to Park Road in the town of Joshua Tree with
a sign "Joshua Tree National Park". Turn right.
- Drive 10.9 miles on this road to the Quail Springs Picnic Area on the right. Park here.
HIKING ROUTE 2
- From the parking area (3979'), hike across the desert floor to a prominent wash directly southwest.
- Ascend the wash. At its head, turn south for 0.5 mile to reach a broad saddle at 4240'+.
- Descend southwest from the saddle into Johnny Lang Canyon, reaching the canyon bottom at about 4150'.
- From here, leave the canyon and hike south up the slope passing bump 5041' on its west side.
- Continue down into saddle 4900' (UTM 720635).
- Go west up the ridge, staying to the right of the rock outcroppings.
- Contour left to the saddle south of bump 5405' (Mount Minerva Hoyt).
- From here, turn right (north) and hike 100 yards to the summit.