USE AT YOUR OWN RISK
Mount Minerva Hoyt
Location: Riverside County, about 12 miles northeast of Indio, 130 miles from Los Angeles
|Auto Club||Riverside County|
|Park Service||Joshua Tree National Park|
|USGS Topos||Indian Cove 7½, Keys View 7½, Joshua Tree South 7½, East Deception Canyon 7½|
|Official HPS Maps
||TPO file - Save to your computer then open with National Geographic TOPO!|
| ||Viewable JPG file - Approximately 1 meg|
| ||GPX file or Google Earth KML file to
download to GPS units and other map software (How to use GPX and KML files)|
| ||Routes as shown on
CalTopo using the above files (How to use CalTopo)|
Nearby Peaks: Quail Mountain
(National Park Service Entrance Fee)
- Distance: 8 miles round trip cross-country
- Gain: 1600' total, 1400' out plus 200' on return
- Time: 4-5 hours round trip
- Rating: Class 1, moderate
Original: Peter & Ignacia Doggett, January 2014
DRIVING ROUTE 1
- Take I-10 east past Banning to the intersection with SR 62.
- Go north on SR 62 to Park Road in the town of Joshua Tree with
a sign "Joshua Tree National Park". Set odometer and turn right.
- Drive 14.2 miles to the intersection with the Hidden Valley Campground road entrance.
- Reset odometer and keep straight on the Loop Road.
- Drive another 1.1 miles to a turnout on the right (west side of the road). Park here.
HIKING ROUTE 1
- From the parking area (4200'), hike west about 3 miles (aiming for a gully that is just south of bump 4859').
- Go up his gully to a flat area about 4620'. From here, to the northwest, one can see the black-spotted summit of Minerva Hoyt and the ridge leading to the top.
- Turn right (north), go about ¼ mile staying mostly in the wash.
- Leave the gully before the gully makes a sharp S-turn to the right (east).
- Head northwest, climbing over a low fold and then onto the ridge that bears mostly northwest.
- Follow this ridge all the way to the black-spotted summit.