USE AT YOUR OWN RISK
Location: Riverside County, about 13 miles northeast of Indio, 130 miles from Los Angeles
|Auto Club||Riverside County|
|Park Service||Joshua Tree National Park|
|USGS Topo||Rockhouse Canyon 7½|
|Official HPS Maps
||TPO file - Save to your computer then open with National Geographic TOPO!|
| ||Viewable JPG file - Approximately 1.3 megs|
| ||GPX file or Google Earth KML file to
download to GPS units and other map software (How to use GPX and KML files)|
| ||Routes as shown on
CalTopo using the above files (How to use CalTopo)|
Nearby Peaks: Bernard Peak
(National Park Service Entrance Fee)
- Distance: 5 1/2 miles round trip cross-country
- Gain: 1400'
- Time: 3 hours round trip
- Rating: Class 1, easy
- Navigation: Moderate
- Leader Rating: "I", normal conditions
Original: Frank Goodykoontz, December 1990
DRIVING ROUTE 1
- Take I-10 east past Banning to the intersection with SR 62.
- Go north on SR 62 to the Park Road in the town of Joshua Tree with
a sign "Joshua Tree National Park". Turn right. Pay fee at
- Drive 16 miles on this road to the intersection with the Keys View
Road. Keep left.
- Continue 5.3 miles on the Loop Road to the Geology Tour Road on the
right (south). This dirt road also goes to Squaw Tank. Note your
odometer and go as follows:
- At 5.6 miles, fork. Go left (one way road) and cross a dry lake.
- At 7.9 miles, fork. Go left (south) on Berdoo Canyon Road.
- At 11.4 miles, fork. Go straight.
- At 12.5 miles, the road crosses a wash just before the end of a ridge
on the right. Park here. Parking is limited.
HIKING ROUTE 1
- From the parking area (4270'), hike northwest up the wash 3/4 mile to
a shallow saddle.
- Turn right and follow the ridge northwest about a mile
over one bump and up to a point just south of Bernard.
- From here hike
southwest along the ridge about a mile over one bump to the summit.