USE AT YOUR OWN RISK
Location: Riverside County, about 10 miles southwest of Twentynine Palms, 145 miles from Los Angeles
|Auto Club||Riverside County|
|Park Service||Joshua Tree National Park|
|USGS Topos||Keys View 7½, Indian Cove 7½|
|Official HPS Maps
||TPO file - Save to your computer then open with National Geographic TOPO!|
| ||Viewable JPG file - Approximately 1.1 megs|
| ||GPX file or Google Earth KML file to
download to GPS units and other map software (How to use GPX and KML files)|
| ||Routes as shown on
CalTopo using the above files (How to use CalTopo)|
(National Park Service Entrance Fee)
- Distance: 4 miles round trip on trail and cross-country
- Gain: 1000'
- Time: 2 hours round trip
- Rating: Class 1, easy
- Navigation: Moderate
- Leader Rating: "I", normal conditions
Original: Sandy Burnside, Southern Courtney, and Byron Prinzmetal, November 2002
DRIVING ROUTE 2
- From the Ryan Mountain Trail parking lot (see Route 1), continue
0.6 mile further east to the entrance of Sheep Pass Group Campground.
Park here on the north side of the road in the pullout. Do not park
in the campground unless you have reservations.
HIKING ROUTE 2
- From the parking area (4489'), hike into the campground along the
campground road to the site furthest east.
- Turn right (southeast), hike through this campsite and onto a well
defined trail that goes generally south.
- The trail splits at 0.7 mile from your start. Take the western fork
and continue until the trail ends.
- From this point, hike 0.6 mile at a bearing of 220° aiming for the
ridge that runs east to west and ends up 0.25 mile north of the peak
(at the letter "O" in the word Mountain on the HPS topo map).
- Ascend this ridge.
- The Ryan Mountain Trail crosses the ridge near its top. Turn south
(left) on the Ryan Mountain Trail and hike 0.25 mile to the top.