USE AT YOUR OWN RISK
Location: Riverside County, about 10 miles southeast of the town of Joshua Tree, 143 miles from Los Angeles
|Auto Club||Riverside County|
|Park Service||Joshua Tree National Park|
|USGS Topos||Indian Cove 7½, Keys View 7½, Joshua Tree South 7½, East Deception Canyon 7½|
|Official HPS Maps
||TPO file - Save to your computer then open with National Geographic TOPO!|
| ||Viewable PDF file - Approximately 10 megs|
| ||GPX file or Google Earth KML file to
download to GPS units and other map software (How to use GPX and KML files)|
| ||Routes as shown on
CalTopo using the above files (How to use CalTopo)|
Nearby Peaks: Mount Minerva Hoyt
(National Park Service Entrance Fee)
- Distance: 10 miles round trip cross-country
- Gain: 1800'
- Time: 5-6 hours round trip
- Rating: Class 1, moderate
- Navigation: Moderate
- Leader Rating: "I", normal conditions
- Route: All cross-country
Original: Byron Prinzmetal, January 2002
DRIVING ROUTE 4
- Take I-10 east past Banning to the intersection with SR 62.
- Go north on SR 62 to Park Boulevard in the town of Joshua Tree with a
sign "Joshua Tree National Park". Turn right.
- Drive 10.9 miles on this road to the Quail Springs Picnic Area on the
right. Continue straight.
- Drive about 3 miles to Hidden Valley Campground.
- Continue another 0.9 mile. Park in the nearest legal pullout. Limited
HIKING ROUTE 4
- Hike west about 2.75 miles aiming for the gully just south of bump 4859'.
- Go up this gully and down on the other side to a flat area.
- Cross this flat area going generally west over a low lying ridge and
down into a large gully. The low lying ridge is about 1/3 mile south of
- You will see a ridge in front of you that runs generally northwest.
Hike up this ridge to Quail.
Note: Make sure you note where your car is for your return trip.