USE AT YOUR OWN RISK
Location: Riverside County, about 10 miles southeast of the town of Joshua Tree, 143 miles from Los Angeles
|Auto Club||Riverside County|
|Park Service||Joshua Tree National Park|
|USGS Topos||Indian Cove 7½, Keys View 7½, Joshua Tree South 7½, East Deception Canyon 7½|
|Official HPS Maps
||TPO file - Save to your computer then open with National Geographic TOPO!|
| ||Viewable PDF file - Approximately 10 megs|
| ||GPX file or Google Earth KML file to
download to GPS units and other map software (How to use GPX and KML files)|
| ||Routes as shown on
CalTopo using the above files (How to use CalTopo)|
Nearby Peaks: Mount Minerva Hoyt
(National Park Service Entrance Fee)
- Distance: 14 miles round trip cross-country
- Gain: 1500'
- Time: 7 hours round trip
- Rating: Class 1, moderate
- Navigation: Moderate
- Leader Rating: "I", normal conditions
- Route: Sandy road and cross-country
Original: Warren E. von Pertz and Paul A. Lipsohn, February 1968
DRIVING ROUTE 1
- Take I-10 east past Banning to the intersection with SR 62.
- Go north on SR 62 to Park Boulevard in the town of Joshua Tree with a
sign "Joshua Tree National Park". Turn right.
- Drive 16 miles on this road to the intersection with the Keys View
Road. Turn right.
- Continue 1.1 miles farther to a gated dirt road on the right. Park
HIKING ROUTE 1
- From the parking area (4342'), hike west on the sandy road 5.5 miles.
It eventually turns north. Hike to its end at a turn-around southeast of the
- Hike northwest to the second gully.
- Then ascend the ridge on your
right (east) about 1.5 miles to the peak.
The summit is at the north end of the ridge near the bench mark.