USE AT YOUR OWN RISK
Location: San Bernardino County, about 6 miles northeast of Yucaipa, 81 miles from Los Angeles
Nearby Peaks: Allen Peak, Cedar Mountain, Wilshire Peak, Wilshire Mountain, Little San Gorgonio Peak
(USFS Adventure Pass may be required)
- Distance: 12 miles round trip on road, trail, and cross-country
- Gain: 3300'
- Time: 6 hours round trip
- Rating: Class 1, moderate
- Navigation: Easy
Original: Warren E. von Pertz
DRIVING ROUTE 1
- Take I-10 east past San Bernardino to the Orange Street exit in
Redlands (SR 38).
- Go one block east, then go north (left) 0.5 mile to Lugonia Avenue.
Turn right on SR 38 (east).
- Continue on SR 38 14.2 miles to Valley of the Falls Road junction
(Forest Falls Road). Park here.
HIKING ROUTE 1
- From the parking area hike across Mill Creek to the south on
- Hike up 1S08 through privately owned land 2.6 miles to
1S09 (Yucaipa Ridge Truck Trail) at the Allen-Birch saddle (5160'+).
- Turn left and hike east on 1S09
approximately 1.8 miles to a saddle at 6160'+. At the saddle there is a
trail on the left called the Oak Glen Divide Trail.
- Turn left and
hike up this trail 1.4 miles. At this point the summit of Birch Mountain will
be on your right to the southeast and about 200' above the trail.
- Turn right and hike up the southeast trending ridge to the summit. Use
care when descending this route, as you want to go down the trail on the west
trending ridge and not down the trailless northwest trending ridge.
This route crosses private property and permission must be obtained well
in advance of the day of the hike.