USE AT YOUR OWN RISK
Location: San Bernardino County, about 15 miles north-northeast of Banning, 103 miles from Los Angeles
|Auto Club||Los Angeles and Vicinity, San Bernardino Mountain Area|
|Forest Service||San Bernardino National Forest, San Gorgonio Wilderness Map|
|USGS Topos||San Gorgonio Mountain 7½, Moonridge 7½|
|Official HPS Maps
||TPO file - Save to your computer then open with National Geographic TOPO!|
| ||Viewable PDF file - Approximately 10 megs|
| ||GPX file or Google Earth KML file to
download to GPS units and other map software (How to use GPX and KML files)|
| ||Routes as shown on
CalTopo using the above files (How to use CalTopo)|
Nearby Peaks: Dragons Head, San Gorgonio Mountain,Dobbs Peak, Lake Peak, Grinnell Mountain, Ten Thousand Foot Ridge
(USFS Adventure Pass may be required)
- Distance: 18 miles round trip on trail and cross-country
- Gain: 4200' total, 3600' out plus 600' on return
- Time: 8-10 hours round trip
- Rating: Class 1, strenuous
- Navigation: Easy
DRIVING ROUTE 1
- Take I-10 east past San Bernardino to the Orange Street exit (SR
- Go one block east, then go north (left) 0.5 mile to Lugonia Avenue.
Turn right on SR 38 (east).
- Continue east on SR 38 about 33 miles to 1N02, the road to Heart
Bar Campground, on the right. Turn right. Note your odometer and go as
- At 1.2 miles, fork. Go right on 1N05. High clearance may be needed from this point.
- At 2.8 miles, Aspen Grove Trail 2E05 goes west. Alternate parking area. Continue on 1N05.
- At 6.9 miles, fork. Go right.
- At 7.2 miles, fork. The Pacific Crest Trail (PCT) crosses the road here. Go right.
- At 7.6 miles, fork. Go right.
- At 7.7 miles, Fish Creek Trailhead (1W07). Park here.
HIKING ROUTE 1
- From the parking area (8040'), hike trail 1W07 southwest about 1/2
mile to a junction with the Aspen Grove Trail.
- Keep left on 1W07 and
continue, passing Fish Creek Camp, 4 miles to Fish Creek Saddle at 9805'.
- Follow the trail for a mile plus to Mine Shaft Saddle (9960'), where it
joins the trail from Dry Lake (1E05). Turn left and follow the Sky High
Trail (1E07). A sign indicates "San Gorgonio 3 1/2 miles".
trail switchbacks up the eastern and southern flanks of
San Gorgonio Mountain.
- Past the top of the switchbacks, the trail heads west and the long hogback
of Bighorn becomes clearly visible nearby on the your left (south).
- Shortly the Tarn, a wide flat area almost free of vegetation, will also
become visible as a depression between you and the peak. Descend south
from the trail into the Tarn at a point near the western end of Bighorn's
hogback. This is most easily done at around 11,100' where a gully (UTM
166727) has been swept relatively clear of brush.
- Cross the center of the
Tarn toward a minor saddle on the west end of the mountain.
- Ascend a steep
trail southeast to the top of the ridge and continue about 1/4 mile to