USE AT YOUR OWN RISK
Location: San Bernardino County, about 12 miles north of Banning, 90 miles from Los Angeles
|Auto Club||Los Angeles and Vicinity, San Bernardino Mountain Area|
|Forest Service||San Bernardino National Forest, A Guide to the San Gorgonio Wilderness|
|USGS Topos||San Gorgonio Mountain 7½|
|Official HPS Maps
||TPO file - Save to your computer then open with National Geographic TOPO!|
| ||Viewable PDF file - Approximately 10 megs|
| ||GPX file or Google Earth KML file to
download to GPS units and other map software (How to use GPX and KML files)|
| ||Routes as shown on
CalTopo using the above files (How to use CalTopo)|
Nearby Peaks: Bighorn Mountain, San Gorgonio Peak,Dobbs Peak, Lake Peak, Ten Thousand Foot Ridge
(USFS Adventure Pass may be required)
- Distance: 18 miles round trip on trail and cross-country
- Gain: 4100' total, 3500' out plus 600' on return
- Time: 8-9 hours round trip
- Rating: Class 1, moderate
- Navigation: Moderate
- Leader Rating: "I", normal conditions
Original: Joe Young, January 2000
DRIVING ROUTE 1
- Take I-10 east past San Bernardino to the Orange Street exit (SR 38).
- Go one block east, then go north (left) 0.5 mile to Lugonia Avenue.
Turn right on SR 38 (east).
- Continue east on SR 38 about 33 miles to 1N02 on the
right, 1 mile past the first entrance to Heart Bar Campground. Turn
right. Note your odometer and go as follows:
- At 1.2 miles, fork. Go right on 1N05.
- At 2.8 miles, Aspen Grove
Trail 2E05 goes west.
- At 6.9 miles, fork. Go right.
- At 7.2 miles, fork. The Pacific Crest Trail (PCT) crosses the road here. Go
- At 7.6 miles, fork. Go right.
- At 7.7 miles, Fish Creek Trailhead (1W07). Park here.
HIKING ROUTE 1
- From the parking area (8040'), hike trail 1W07 southwest about 1/2
mile to a junction with the Aspen Grove Trail.
- Keep left on 1W07 and
continue 4 miles to Fish Creek Saddle at 9805'. Follow the trail for
another mile to Dry Lake Saddle. Shortly thereafter meet the trail to Mine
Shaft Saddle (9960').
- Turn left and follow the Sky High Trail. A sign
indicates "San Gorgonio 3 1/2 miles". The trail switchbacks
up the eastern and southern flanks of San Gorgonio Peak.
- When you have ascended above the 11,000' contour, leave the trail and
travel cross-country south toward a very wide, flat, almost
vegetation-free area called "The Tarn" (10,600'). About 1/2
mile west of The Tarn is a saddle (10,640').
- From this saddle proceed
southwest up the ridge to the summit of Dragons Head.