USE AT YOUR OWN RISK
Location: San Bernardino County, about 14 miles north-northeast of Banning, 103 miles from Los Angeles
|Auto Club||Los Angeles and Vicinity, San Bernardino Mountain Area|
|Forest Service||San Bernardino National Forest, A Guide to the San Gorgonio Wilderness|
|USGS Topos||San Gorgonio Mountain 7½, Moonridge 7½|
|Official HPS Maps
||TPO file - Save to your computer then open with National Geographic TOPO!|
| ||Viewable JPG file - Approximately 1.4 megs|
| ||GPX file or Google Earth KML file to
download to GPS units and other map software (How to use GPX and KML files)|
| ||Routes as shown on
CalTopo using the above files (How to use CalTopo)|
Nearby Peaks: Lake Peak, Grinnell Mountain
(USFS Adventure Pass may be required)
- Distance: 15 miles round trip on trail and cross-country
- Gain: 3800'
- Time: 7-9 hours round trip
- Rating: Class 1, strenuous
- Navigation: Moderate
- Leader Rating: "I", normal conditions
Original: Paul A. Lipsohn, December 1973
DRIVING ROUTE 2
- Take I-10 east past San Bernardino to the Orange Street exit
- Go one block east, then go north (left) 0.5 mile to Lugonia Avenue.
Turn right on SR 38 (east).
- Continue east on SR 38 about 26 miles to Jenks Lake Road on the
right. Turn right (south).
- Continue to the signed South Fork Trailhead parking lot on the left.
HIKING ROUTE 2
- From the parking area (6900'), hike the South Fork Trail (1E04) past
the old Poopout Hill trailhead to South Fork at Slushy Meadows where the
Dry Lake Trail forks left (8200').
- Turn left (southeast) and follow this
trail 1 1/2 miles to Dry Lake where there is another trail fork.
left and go 1/2 mile to Lodgepole Spring.
- Continue 3/4 mile east
cross-country up to Fish Creek Saddle at 9805'.
- Hike south up to the
top of the ridge at 10,080'.
- Turn left. (Turn right (west) to go to Lake
- Hike east along the ridge to a saddle at 9800'-.
- Continue east up to