USE AT YOUR OWN RISK
Location: San Bernardino County, about 12 miles north of Banning, 90 miles from Los Angeles
|Auto Club||Los Angeles and Vicinity, San Bernardino Mountain Area|
|Forest Service||San Bernardino National Forest|
|USGS Topos||San Gorgonio Mountain 7½, Moonridge 7½|
|Official HPS Maps
||TPO file - Save to your computer then open with National Geographic TOPO!|
| ||Viewable PDF file - Approximately 10 megs|
| ||GPX file or Google Earth KML file to
download to GPS units and other map software (How to use GPX and KML files)|
| ||Routes as shown on
CalTopo using the above files (How to use CalTopo)|
Nearby Peaks: Charlton Peak, Jepson Peak, Dobbs Peak
(USFS Adventure Pass may be required)
- Distance: 22 miles round trip on trail
- Gain: 5350'
- Time: 9-10 hours round trip
- Rating: Class 1, very strenuous
Original: Warren E. von Pertz, October 1968
DRIVING ROUTE 3
- Take I-10 east past San Bernardino to the Orange Street exit (SR
- Go one block east, then go north (left) 0.5 mile to Lugonia Avenue.
Turn right on SR 38 (east).
- Continue east on SR 38 about 26 miles to Jenks Lake Road on the
right. Turn right (south).
- Continue to the signed South Fork Trailhead parking lot on the left.
HIKING ROUTE 3
- From the parking area (6850'), hike the South Fork Trail (1E04) past
the old Poopout Hill trailhead to South Fork at Slushy Meadows where the
Dry Lake Trail forks left (8200').
- Turn left (southeast) follow this trail
1 1/2 miles to Dry Lake where there is another trail fork.
- Go right and
hike 2 miles more to Mineshaft Saddle (9936') and another fork.
- Go right
(southeast) and follow the Sky High Trail to its junction with the San
Bernardino Peak Divide Trail at 11,360'.
- Turn right and hike east up to the