USE AT YOUR OWN RISK
Location: San Bernardino County, about 12 miles north of Banning, 90 miles from Los Angeles
|Auto Club||Los Angeles and Vicinity, San Bernardino Mountain Area|
|Forest Service||San Bernardino National Forest|
|USGS Topos||San Gorgonio Mountain 7½, Moonridge 7½|
|Official HPS Maps
||TPO file - Save to your computer then open with National Geographic TOPO!|
| ||Viewable PDF file - Approximately 10 megs|
| ||GPX file or Google Earth KML file to
download to GPS units and other map software (How to use GPX and KML files)|
| ||Routes as shown on
CalTopo using the above files (How to use CalTopo)|
Nearby Peaks: Charlton Peak, Jepson Peak, San Gorgonio Mountain
(USFS Adventure Pass may be required)
- Distance: 7 miles round trip on trail and cross-country
- Gain: 4400'
- Time: 5-7 hours round trip
- Rating: Class 1, strenuous
- Navigation: Moderate, use extra care on descent
- Route: Steep, minimal brush
Original: George Wysup, July 2000
DRIVING ROUTE 3
- Take I-10 east past San Bernardino to the Orange Street exit (SR 38).
- Go one block east, then go north (left) 0.5 mile to Lugonia Avenue.
Turn right on SR 38 (east).
- Go 8.0 miles to the Mill Creek Ranger Station.
- Continue east on SR 38 about 5 miles to the Valley of the Falls Road
on the right. Turn right.
- Drive 4.25 miles to the Big Falls parking area at the end of the
road. Park here.
HIKING ROUTE 3
- From the Vivian Creek trailhead (6080'), walk up the road about 1/2
mile to the Mill Creek crossing.
- Cross the creek and proceed about 1 mile
to where the trail crosses a creek (on a large log) at the 7200'
- Ascend the slope generally north, avoiding brush as best you can
until you attain a ridge running generally east at about 8200'.
- Continue east and the east-northeast along this ridge, staying slightly to
the north side to avoid brush, to the summit.
If descending Route 3, take care to turn south at the point the ridge
runs out, lest you descend into Falls Creek.