USE AT YOUR OWN RISK
Location: San Bernardino County, about 12 miles north of Banning, 90 miles from Los Angeles
|Auto Club||Los Angeles and Vicinity, San Bernardino Mountain Area|
|Forest Service||San Bernardino National Forest|
|USGS Topos||San Gorgonio Mountain 7½, Moonridge 7½|
|Official HPS Maps
||TPO file - Save to your computer then open with National Geographic TOPO!|
| ||Viewable PDF file - Approximately 10 megs|
| ||GPX file or Google Earth KML file to
download to GPS units and other map software (How to use GPX and KML files)|
| ||Routes as shown on
CalTopo using the above files (How to use CalTopo)|
Nearby Peaks: Charlton Peak, Jepson Peak, San Gorgonio Mountain
(USFS Adventure Pass may be required)
- Distance: 17 miles round trip on trail and cross-country
- Gain: 5200' total, 4400' out plus 800' on return
- Time: 7-8 hours round trip
- Rating: Class 1, strenuous
Original: Warren E. von Pertz, September 1968
DRIVING ROUTE 1
- Take I-10 east past San Bernardino to the Orange Street exit (SR 38).
- Go one block east, then go north (left) 0.5 mile to Lugonia Avenue.
Turn right on SR 38 (east).
- Go 8.0 miles to the Mill Creek Ranger Station.
- Continue east on SR 38 about 5 miles to the Valley of the Falls Road
on the right. Turn right.
- Drive 4.25 miles to the Big Falls parking area at the end of the
road. Park here.
HIKING ROUTE 1
- From the parking area (6080'), hike past the locked gate on the
road east for 1/2 mile to where the trail descends into the wash.
the wash and pick up the trail again on the north side. Hike up the trail
to where it intersects the San Bernardino Peak Trail (1W07) at 11,240'.
- Turn left and hike about 1 mile to where the trail crosses a ridge at
- Leave the trail and hike southeast down the ridge to a
- Turn right and hike west about 3/4 mile to the summit.