USE AT YOUR OWN RISK
Location: San Bernardino County, about 13 miles north of Banning, 90 miles from Los Angeles
|Auto Club||Los Angeles and Vicinity, San Bernardino Mountain Area|
|Forest Service||San Bernardino National Forest|
|USGS Topos||San Gorgonio Mountain 7½, Moonridge 7½|
|Official HPS Maps
||TPO file - Save to your computer then open with National Geographic TOPO!|
| ||Viewable PDF file - Approximately 10 megs|
| ||GPX file or Google Earth KML file to
download to GPS units and other map software (How to use GPX and KML files)|
| ||Routes as shown on
CalTopo using the above files (How to use CalTopo)|
Nearby Peaks: Charlton Peak, Dobbs Peak, San Gorgonio Mountain
(USFS Adventure Pass may be required)
- Distance: 17 miles round trip on trail and cross-country
- Gain: 4450'
- Time: 8-9 hours round trip
- Rating: Class 1, very strenuous
Original: Warren E. von Pertz, September 1968
DRIVING ROUTE 2
- Take I-10 east past San Bernardino to the Orange Street exit (SR
- Go one block east, then go north (left) 0.5 mile to Lugonia Avenue.
Turn right on SR 38 (east).
- Continue east on SR 38 about 26 miles to Jenks Lake Road on the
right. Turn right (south).
- Continue to the signed South Fork Trailhead parking lot on the left.
HIKING ROUTE 2
- From the parking area (6850'), hike the South Fork Trail (1E04) past the
old Poopout Hill trailhead to South Fork at Slushy Meadows where the Dry
Lake Trail forks left (8200').
- Keep right on the South Fork Trail and
continue to the fork to Dollar Lake (9520').
- Keep right again and continue
to Dollar Lake Saddle (9960'), at a junction with the San Bernardino Peak
- Turn left on 1W07 and follow it south about 2 miles to a
point where it crosses a ridge at about 10,880'.
- Leave the trail on the
left and follow the ridge northeast about 1/4 mile up to the summit.