USE AT YOUR OWN RISK
Location: San Bernardino County, about 13 miles north of Banning, 90 miles from Los Angeles
|Auto Club||Los Angeles and Vicinity, San Bernardino Mountain Area|
|Forest Service||San Bernardino National Forest|
|USGS Topos||San Gorgonio Mountain 7½, Moonridge 7½|
|Official HPS Maps
||TPO file - Save to your computer then open with National Geographic TOPO!|
| ||Viewable PDF file - Approximately 10 megs|
| ||GPX file or Google Earth KML file to
download to GPS units and other map software (How to use GPX and KML files)|
| ||Routes as shown on
CalTopo using the above files (How to use CalTopo)|
Nearby Peaks: Charlton Peak, Dobbs Peak, San Gorgonio Mountain
(USFS Adventure Pass may be required)
- Distance: 15 miles round trip on trail and cross-country
- Gain: 5360'
- Time: 7-8 hours round trip
- Rating: Class 1, strenuous
Original: Warren E. von Pertz, September 1968
DRIVING ROUTE 1
- Take I-10 east past San Bernardino to the Orange Street exit (SR
- Go one block east, then go north (left) 0.5 mile to Lugonia Avenue.
Turn right on SR 38 (east).
- Go 8.0 miles to the Mill Creek Ranger Station.
- Continue east on SR 38 about 5 miles to the Valley of the Falls
Road on the right. Turn right.
- Drive 4.25 miles to the Big Falls parking area at the end of the
road. Park here.
HIKING ROUTE 1
- From the parking area (6080'), hike past the locked gate on the
road east for 1/2 mile to where the trail descends into the wash.
the wash and pick up the trail again on the north side.
- Hike up the trail
to where it intersects the San Bernardino Peak Trail (1W07) at 11,240'.
- Turn left and hike about 1/2 mile to a saddle just northwest of elevation
- Leave the trail on the right and follow the ridge northwest
another 1/2 mile to the summit.