USE AT YOUR OWN RISK
Location: San Bernardino County, about 11 miles northeast of Yucaipa, 89 miles from Los Angeles
|Auto Club||Los Angeles and Vicinity, San Bernardino Mountain Area|
|Forest Service||San Bernardino National Forest, A Guide to the San Gorgonio Wilderness|
|USGS Topos||Big Bear Lake 7½, Forest Falls 7½|
|Official HPS Maps
||TPO file - Save to your computer then open with National Geographic TOPO!|
| ||Viewable JPG file - Approximately 1.6 megs|
| ||GPX file or Google Earth KML file to
download to GPS units and other map software (How to use GPX and KML files)|
| ||Routes as shown on
CalTopo using the above files (How to use CalTopo)|
Nearby Peaks: San Bernardino Peak, San Bernardino East Peak, Anderson Peak
(USFS Adventure Pass may be required)
- Distance: 18 miles round trip on trail and cross-country
- Gain: 4230'
- Time: 8-9 hours round trip
- Rating: Class 1, very strenuous
- Navigation: Easy
Original: Warren E. von Pertz and Al Campbell, February 1973
DRIVING ROUTE 2
- Take I-10 east past San Bernardino to the Orange Street exit (SR 38).
- Go one block east, then go north (left) 0.5 mile to Lugonia Avenue.
Turn right on SR 38 (east).
- Continue east on SR 38 about 26 miles to Jenks Lake Road on the
right. Turn right (south).
- Continue to the signed South Fork Trailhead parking lot on the left
(restrooms). Park here.
HIKING ROUTE 2
- From the parking area (6900'), hike the South Fork Trail (1E04) past
the old Poopout Hill trailhead to South Fork at Slushy Meadows where the
Dry Lake Trail forks left (8200').
- Keep right on the South Fork Trail
and continue to the fork to Dollar Lake.
- Keep straight and continue to
Dollar Lake Saddle (9960'), at a junction with the San Bernardino Peak
- Hike west on 1W07 for 2 miles to where it comes out on the
ridge just west of Shields Peak.
- Come back east along the very rocky ridge
to the summit.