USE AT YOUR OWN RISK
Location: San Bernardino County, about 9 miles northwest of Morongo Valley, 102 miles from Los Angeles
|Auto Club||Los Angeles and Vicinity, San Bernardino Mountain Area|
|Forest Service||San Bernardino National Forest|
|USGS Topos||Onyx Peak 7½, Moonridge 7½|
|Official HPS Maps
||TPO file - Save to your computer then open with National Geographic TOPO!|
| ||Viewable PDF file - Approximately 2.4 megs|
| ||GPX file or Google Earth KML file to
download to GPS units and other map software (How to use GPX and KML files)|
| ||Routes as shown on
CalTopo using the above files (How to use CalTopo)|
Nearby Peaks: Three Sisters, Heart Bar Peak
(USFS Adventure Pass may be required)
- Distance: 3.9 miles round trip
- Gain: 875'
- Time: 3 hours round trip
- Rating: Class 1, easy
- Navigation: Easy
Original: Gary Schenk, May 2010
DRIVING ROUTE 2
- Take I-10 east past San Bernardino to the Orange Street exit (SR 38).
- Go one block east, then go north (left) 0.5 mile to Lugonia Avenue. Turn right on SR 38 (east).
- Continue east on SR 38 about 33 miles to 1N02, the road to Heart Bar Campground, on the right. Turn right. Note your odometer and go as follows:
- At 1.2 miles, fork. Go left (east) on 1N02 at sign "Coon Creek".
- At 1.5 miles, fork. Go left (east) on 1N02.
- At 5.4 miles, a parking area for the PCT, park here, at Coon Creek Jumpoff.
HIKING ROUTE 2
- From the parking area (8060'), follow the PCT to the north, passing to the west of point 8672.
- Continue on PCT north to a saddle that has an intersection with abandoned 4WD road. Continue north on the obvious tread of the PCT, climbing slightly to a high point on the trail at 8750'.
- On the left a large open/flat gully joins the PCT, just before the trail heads downhill.
- Follow the gully westerly, veering toward left to avoid rocks/boulders.
- Continue west toward visible summit. Wysup Peak is the second summit block.