USE AT YOUR OWN RISK
Location: San Bernardino County, about 9 miles northwest of Morongo Valley, 102 miles from Los Angeles
|Auto Club||Los Angeles and Vicinity, San Bernardino Mountain Area|
|Forest Service||San Bernardino National Forest|
|USGS Topos||Onyx Peak 7½, Moonridge 7½|
|Official HPS Maps
||TPO file - Save to your computer then open with National Geographic TOPO!|
| ||Viewable PDF file - Approximately 2.4 megs|
| ||GPX file or Google Earth KML file to
download to GPS units and other map software (How to use GPX and KML files)|
| ||Routes as shown on
CalTopo using the above files (How to use CalTopo)|
Nearby Peaks: Three Sisters, Heart Bar Peak
(USFS Adventure Pass may be required)
- Distance: 6.6 miles round trip
- Gain: 1538'
- Time: 4 hours round trip
- Rating: Class 1, easy
- Navigation: Easy
Original: Jennifer Washington, May 2010
DRIVING ROUTE 1
- Take I-10 east past San Bernardino to the Orange Street exit (SR 38).
- Go one block east, then go north (left) 0.5 mile to Lugonia Avenue. Turn right on SR 38 (east).
- Continue east on SR 38 about 33 miles to 1N02, the road to Heart Bar Campground, on the right. Keep straight.
- Continue 6.0 miles farther to Onyx Summit (8443').
- Large open space on right - park here.
HIKING ROUTE 1
- From the parking area (8443'), hike up the road on the right until junction of PCT reached, approximately 100 yards.
- Continue on PCT south. At 2 miles a wild animal preserve is encountered on your left. (Two grizzly bears are visible.) The PCT passes through private property for the next 300 feet - crossing Rainbow Lane and continuing up a dirt road.
- At approximately 3 miles the PCT turns abruptly to the right/east. Continue on the trail for about 0.8 miles, where it climbs to 8750'.
- On the right a large open/flat gully joins the PCT, just before the trail heads downhill.
- Follow gully veering toward left to avoid rocks/boulders.
- Continue west toward visible summit. Wysup Peak is the second summit block.