USE AT YOUR OWN RISK
Location: San Bernardino County, about 9 miles northwest of Morongo Valley, 102 miles from Los Angeles
|Auto Club||Los Angeles and Vicinity, San Bernardino Mountain Area|
|Forest Service||San Bernardino National Forest|
|USGS Topo||Onyx Peak 7½|
|Official HPS Maps
||TPO file - Save to your computer then open with National Geographic TOPO!|
| ||Viewable JPG file - Approximately 985K|
| ||GPX file or Google Earth KML file to
download to GPS units and other map software (How to use GPX and KML files)|
| ||Routes as shown on
CalTopo using the above files (How to use CalTopo)|
(USFS Adventure Pass may be required)
- Distance: 7 miles round trip on road and cross-country
- Gain: 1800' total, 900' out plus 900' on return
- Time: 3-4 hours round trip
- Rating: Class 1, moderate
- Navigation: Moderate
- Leader Rating: "I", normal conditions
Original: Paul A. Lipsohn, May 1973
DRIVING ROUTE 1
- Take I-10 east past San Bernardino to the Orange Street exit (SR 38).
- Go one block east, then go north (left) 0.5 mile to Lugonia Avenue.
Turn right on SR 38 (east).
- Continue east on SR 38 about 33 miles to 1N02, the road
to Heart Bar Campground, on the right. Turn right. Note your odometer
and go as follows:
- At 1.2 miles, fork. Go left (east) on 1N02 at sign "Coon
- At 1.5 miles, fork. Go left (east) on 1N02.
- At 5.4 miles, locked gate. Park here.
HIKING ROUTE 1
- From the parking area (8060'), go left around the gate through a break
in the fence and hike east up the dirt road, past a cabin. After about 0.7
mile the road forks.
- Take the right fork (shown as a jeep road on the
topo) and follow it around the north side of elevation 8369' into a
saddle. Continue to the end of the road at about 8250'.
- Then continue
cross-country to elevation 8350'. From here go east down the ridge,
keeping generally on the north side to avoid brush, to the saddle at
7880'+, between elevation 8350' and elevation 8100'.
- Hike up to the HPS
summit on elevation 8100'.