USE AT YOUR OWN RISK
Location: San Bernardino County, about 12 miles southeast of Big Bear Lake, 105 miles from Los Angeles
|Auto Club||Los Angeles and Vicinity, San Bernardino Mountain Area|
|Forest Service||San Bernardino National Forest|
|USGS Topo||Onyx Peak 7½|
|Official HPS Maps
||TPO file - Save to your computer then open with National Geographic TOPO!|
| ||Viewable JPG file - Approximately 600K|
| ||GPX file or Google Earth KML file to
download to GPS units and other map software (How to use GPX and KML files)|
| ||Routes as shown on
CalTopo using the above files (How to use CalTopo)|
(USFS Adventure Pass may be required)
- Distance: 6 miles round trip on road
- Gain: 650'
- Time: 2 1/2 hours round trip
- Rating: Class 1, easy
Original: Bob Cates, April 1977
DRIVING ROUTE 1
- Take I-10 east past San Bernardino to the Orange Street exit (SR
- Go one block east, then go north (left) 0.5 mile to Lugonia Avenue.
Turn right on SR 38 (east).
- Continue east on SR 38 about 33 miles to 1N02, the road to Heart
Bar Campground, on the right. Keep straight.
- Continue 6.0 miles farther to Onyx Summit (8443'). Turn right on a
dirt road. Park here.
HIKING ROUTE 1
- From the parking area hike up the road (1N01).
- At the junction with Pipes Road, keep right on 1N01A past a gate and continue to the summit.