USE AT YOUR OWN RISK
Location: San Bernardino County, about 9 miles east of Big Bear City, 118 miles from Los Angeles
|Auto Club||Los Angeles and Vicinity, San Bernardino Mountain Area|
|Forest Service||San Bernardino National Forest|
|USGS Topos||Rattlesnake Canyon 7½, Big Bear City 7½, Onyx Peak 7½|
|Official HPS Maps
||TPO file - Save to your computer then open with National Geographic TOPO!|
| ||Viewable JPG file - Approximately 710K|
| ||GPX file or Google Earth KML file to
download to GPS units and other map software (How to use GPX and KML files)|
| ||Routes as shown on
CalTopo using the above files (How to use CalTopo)|
Nearby Peaks: Granite Peaks, Mineral Mountain, Black Mountain #4
(USFS Adventure Pass may be required)
- Distance: 1.5 miles round trip
- Gain: 900' total, 800' out plus 100' on return
- Time: 1-1 1/2 hours round trip
- Rating: Class 1, easy
- Navigation: Easy
Original: George Wysup, September 2000
DRIVING ROUTE 2
- From Big Bear City, drive northeast on SR 18 about 6 miles, 0.3
mile past the 61.00 mile marker, to Forest Service 3N03 (dirt) on the
right, signed "Cactus Flats". Turn right.
High clearance recommended on for all dirt roads in this area.
Note your odometer
and go as follows:
- At 1.3 miles, fork with 3N07Y to the right. Keep straight.
- At 3.3 miles and 3.6 miles, forks on the left to Smarts Ranch. Keep
- At 5.0 miles, you cross Arrastre Creek.
- At 5.1 miles, fork. Go left.
- At 5.2 miles, fork. This is the turnoff for
- At 7.4 miles, fork in a saddle with 2N02 on the right. Keep straight.
- At 7.7 miles, fork with 2N90 on the left. Keep straight.
- At 8.8 miles, fork to the left. Park here.
HIKING ROUTE 2
- From the parking area (6870'), hike north to the
saddle between hills 7462' and 7393', going around the east side of
7462', then north to a saddle and across a road.
- Continue north up a ridge to the summit.