USE AT YOUR OWN RISK
Location: San Bernardino County, about 7 miles southeast of Big Bear Lake, 104 miles from Los Angeles
|Auto Club||Los Angeles and Vicinity|
|Forest Service||San Bernardino National Forest|
|USGS Topo||Moonridge 7½|
|Official HPS Maps
||TPO file - Save to your computer then open with National Geographic TOPO!|
| ||Viewable PDF file - Approximately 4.5 megs|
| ||GPX file or Google Earth KML file to
download to GPS units and other map software (How to use GPX and KML files)|
| ||Routes as shown on
CalTopo using the above files (How to use CalTopo)|
(USFS Adventure Pass may be required)
- Distance: 10 miles round trip
- Gain: 2600'
- Time: 5-6 hours round trip
- Rating: Class 1, moderate
- Navigation: Easy
- Leader Rating: "O", normal conditions
- Route: Trail
- Vehicle: High Clearance
Original: Charlie Knapke, September 1996
DRIVING ROUTE 2
- Take I-10 east past San Bernardino to the Orange Street exit (SR
- Go one block east, then go north (left) 0.5 mile to Lugonia Avenue.
Turn right on SR 38 (east).
- Continue east on SR 38 about 33 miles to 1N02, the road to Heart
Bar Campground, on the right. Keep straight.
- Go another 12.2 miles on SR 38 to Hatchery Drive. Turn left. Note
your odometer and go as follows:
- At 0.55 mile, a fork to the right. Keep straight.
- At 1.3 miles, Sugarloaf Trail on the right. Park here.
HIKING ROUTE 2
- From the parking area (7560'+), hike up the Sugarloaf Trail to a trail
junction on the ridge (8972').
- Turn right and follow the trail
(2E02A) west along the ridge, down into a saddle (9600'+), and up to the
summit where you will find a sign on a pile of rocks.