USE AT YOUR OWN RISK
Location: San Bernardino County, about 7 miles southeast of Big Bear Lake, 104 miles from Los Angeles
|Auto Club||Los Angeles and Vicinity|
|Forest Service||San Bernardino National Forest|
|USGS Topo||Moonridge 7½|
|Official HPS Maps
||TPO file - Save to your computer then open with National Geographic TOPO!|
| ||Viewable PDF file - Approximately 4.5 megs|
| ||GPX file or Google Earth KML file to
download to GPS units and other map software (How to use GPX and KML files)|
| ||Routes as shown on
CalTopo using the above files (How to use CalTopo)|
- Distance: 7 miles round trip
- Gain: 1600' total, 1500' out plus 100' on return
- Time: 4 hours round trip
- Rating: Class 1, moderate
- Navigation: Moderate
- Route: Abandoned road and trail
- Vehicle: High Clearance
Original: Warren E. von Pertz, September 1968
DRIVING ROUTE 1
- Take I-10 east past San Bernardino to the Orange Street exit (SR
- Go one block east, then go north (left) 0.5 mile to Lugonia Avenue.
Turn right on SR 38 (east).
- Continue east on SR 38 about 33 miles to 1N02, the road to Heart
Bar Campground, on the right. Keep straight.
- Go another 2.2 miles on SR 38 to a dirt road, 2N93, on the left
(north). Turn left.
- Follow 2N93 for 6.0 miles to Wildhorse Meadows.
There is a fork to a gated dirt road on the left (west).
Park on the right just before this fork.
HIKING ROUTE 1
- From the parking area (8700'), the trail begins on the left side of the
road at a break in the fence. Hike west along the ridge over a broad plateau
and down into a saddle with a sign "Sugarloaf Trail" at a trail
- Continue on the road, which becomes a trail (2E02A).
- Follow the
trail west along the ridge, down into a saddle (9600'+), and up to the
summit where you will find a sign on a pile of rocks.
Dirt road 2N93 is seasonal.