USE AT YOUR OWN RISK
Location: San Bernardino County, about 3 miles north of the town of Big Bear Lake, 102 miles from Los Angeles
|Auto Club||Los Angeles and Vicinity, San Bernardino Mountain Area|
|Forest Service||San Bernardino National Forest|
|USGS Topo||Fawnskin 7½|
|Official HPS Maps
||TPO file - Save to your computer then open with National Geographic TOPO!|
| ||Viewable JPG file - Approximately 715K|
| ||GPX file or Google Earth KML file to
download to GPS units and other map software (How to use GPX and KML files)|
| ||Routes as shown on
CalTopo using the above files (How to use CalTopo)|
(USFS Adventure Pass may be required)
- Distance: 7.0 miles round trip on trail and dirt road
- Gain: 1500' total, 1425' out plus 75' on return
- Time: 3 hours round trip
- Rating: Class 1, moderate
Original: Peter Doggett, April 2009
DRIVING ROUTE 2
- Follow Route 1 directions to Fawnskin.
- From Fawnskin, continue 2.5 miles east on SR-38 to the Cougar
Crest Trailhead parking lot. Park here.
HIKING ROUTE 2
- From the Cougar Crest Trailhead (elevation 6850') hike north about 0.1 mile on a paved walking path.
- As the paved path turns to the right, continue straight on a dirt road and hike up to the Pacific Crest Trail (PCT).
- Upon reaching the PCT (2 miles from your car), turn right and proceed
another 0.5 miles to another dirt road.
- Leave the PCT, turn right and follow this dirt road for about 1 mile to the summit.
The views of Big Bear Lake from much of this route are very nice.