USE AT YOUR OWN RISK
Location: San Bernardino County, about 3 miles north of the town of Big Bear Lake, 102 miles from Los Angeles
|Auto Club||Los Angeles and Vicinity, San Bernardino Mountain Area|
|Forest Service||San Bernardino National Forest|
|USGS Topo||Fawnskin 7½|
|Official HPS Maps
||TPO file - Save to your computer then open with National Geographic TOPO!|
| ||Viewable JPG file - Approximately 715K|
| ||GPX file or Google Earth KML file to
download to GPS units and other map software (How to use GPX and KML files)|
| ||Routes as shown on
CalTopo using the above files (How to use CalTopo)|
(USFS Adventure Pass may be required)
- Distance: 3 1/4 miles round trip on trail and cross-country
- Gain: 800'
- Time: 2 hours round trip
- Rating: Class 1, easy
Original: John Backus, January 1980
DRIVING ROUTE 1
- Drive east on I-10 to I-215.
- Drive north on I-215 to SR 210.
- Drive east on SR 210 to SR 330.
- Drive north on SR 330 to SR 18 at the town of Running Springs.
- Drive east on SR 18 to the dam at Big Bear Lake. Turn left on SR
- Drive on SR 38 to Fawnskin.
- Continue east on SR 38 for 2.0 miles to Polique Canyon Road (Holcomb
Valley turnoff). Turn left (north). Note your odometer and go as
- At 1.5 miles, T intersection with 2N71 to the left. Go right (northeast) on
- At 2.0 miles, a gated road on the right. Park here.
HIKING ROUTE 1
- From the parking area (7420'), hike north on 2N09 about 250 yards to
where the Pacific Crest Trail (PCT) crosses the road. Turn right (east).
- Continue about 1 1/2 miles to where the PCT begins to pass the north
slope of Bertha.
- Leave the trail here and hike southeast up the slope to
the summit. There is a radio transmitter site on the summit.
From the same parking area, pass the gate and hike east up road 2N09C to