USE AT YOUR OWN RISK
Location: San Bernardino County, about 1 1/2 miles west of Fawnskin, 100 miles from Los Angeles
|Auto Club||Los Angeles and Vicinity, San Bernardino Mountain Area|
|Forest Service||San Bernardino National Forest|
|USGS Topo||Fawnskin 7½|
|Official HPS Maps
||TPO file - Save to your computer then open with National Geographic TOPO!|
| ||Viewable PDF file - Approximately 2.2 megs|
| ||GPX file or Google Earth KML file to
download to GPS units and other map software (How to use GPX and KML files)|
| ||Routes as shown on
CalTopo using the above files (How to use CalTopo)|
Nearby Peaks: Crafts Peak, Butler Peak (LO), Little Bear Peak, Delamar Mountain
(USFS Adventure Pass may be required)
- Distance: 5 miles round trip cross-country
- Gain: 1100'
- Time: 2 1/2 hours round trip
- Rating: Class 1, easy
- Navigation: Moderate
Original: John Backus, January 1980
DRIVING ROUTE 2
- Drive east on I-10 to SR 210.
- Drive north on SR 210 (signed "West") to SR 330.
- Drive north on SR 330 to SR 18 at the town of Running Springs.
- Drive east on SR 18 to the dam at Big Bear Lake. Turn left on SR 38.
- Drive on SR 38 to Fawnskin. Turn left (northwest) on 3N14. Note your
odometer and go as follows:
- At 1.3 miles, locked gate at fork with 2N13 to the left and 3N14 to the right. Park here.
If gate is open, it is possible to continue on 2N13 for 1.4 miles to the junction with 2N70.
HIKING ROUTE 2
- Pass through the gate and continue on 2N13 for 1.4 miles to junction with 2N70 on the left.
- Cross the creek bed
and follow the ducked route up
the slope to where you cross a trail.
- Turn right and follow the trail almost to its end.
- Grays will be to your left, about 100 meters. Follow the use trail
to the top.
Note: Route 2 has been gated and locked at the intersection of 2N13 /3N14 for a number of years
following a fire in the area, and if the gate is locked, aa additional 1.2 mile /100 ft gain road hike is required (one
There are many ducked routes in this area. Pay special attention to your
route going up as this will make the return trip much easier.